VCSEL Device Designer
TriLumina Corp., an Albuquerque based high-tech company that is developing a unique optoelectronic device and system technology, has an opening for an experienced VCSEL device designer. The candidate needs to have a strong technical background and a proven track record in previous relevant positions and/or an educational background that includes epi and chip design as well as wafer fabrication processes. Flexibility, resourcefulness, and a willingness to learn and thrive in a dynamic small team environment are essential traits.
Reporting to the VP, Engineering, the VCSEL Device Designer is responsible for supporting the companies VCSEL-based technology by improving the VCSEL Epi, Chip and Process Design. It is critical this person have the intellectual horsepower, passionate personality, collaborative spirit, and dynamic work ethic that define the core of the Company and engineering and technical team.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead role in improving device performance and manufacturability for the company’s core VCSEL technology
- Use commercial modeling tools (Synopsis Lasermod) to optimize VCSEL designs for specific performance goals
- Develop in-house software tools as needed for physics-based device modeling or analysis
- Collaborate with epitaxial growth specialists to assist with the specification and development of new Epi structures
- Work closely with photomask layout technicians and packaging engineers on device design
- Work with a team of Scientists, Engineers, and Technicians to develop, improve, and integrate new epitaxial designs and fabrication processes for VCSEL lasers
- Analysis of parametric data and preparation of summaries (written and verbal)
- Take ownership of projects related to VCSEL device performance including experiment scheduling, data analysis, laser characterization, directing equipment maintenance, and experimental design
- Work closely with reliability engineers to correlate design changes with reliability data for improved reliability
- Work closely and collaborate with executive team
- Act as a key contributor in helping the Company achieve its short and long-term objectives
- Prepare, manage, and summarize reports, documentation, and processes
- Track and measure project progress against target timeframes and report to management
- Collaborate with external wafer fabrication foundries
- Perform other duties as required
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- 10+ years’ experience in VCSEL and/or other semiconductor laser diode design and modeling
- Experience comparing modeling results with measured performance data and using the insight obtained to optimize performance of VCSELs or other laser diodes
- Strong software development skills for developing custom scientific calculations in readily available programming languages and development environments
- A detailed understanding of laser diode, and especially VCSEL, device physics, including thermal, electrical and optical properties and their co-dependence
- A strong understanding of the material properties of the GaAs/AIGaAs and InGaAs alloys and their effect on performance is required
- Familiarity with the wafer processing steps for VCSEL fabrication, including photolithography, oxidation, ICP/RIE etching, metallization processes, and wafer thinning is required
- Data analysis skills and familiarity with statistical analysis tools is preferred
Personal and/or Leadership Attributes:
- Demonstrated capability and success as a key member of an engineering organization in planning, execution, and completion technology and products
- Experience working in a hyper-growth-oriented, entrepreneurial environment where management of complex product requirements is a critical driver of success
- A great “communicator”. Must be articulate, open, and direct. Ability to create positive interactions across all levels of management, staff and with external customers and stakeholders
- Comfortable in a low-ego, entrepreneurial, change-oriented environment, and to be flexible when change in direction is required
A Master or PhD in Physics, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Material Science, or other relevant technical field is required for this position.