TriLumina Corp., an Albuquerque based high-tech company that is developing a unique optoelectronic device and system technology, has an opening for an experienced Optical Engineer. The successful candidate needs to have a solid background in optical engineering and experience in designing laser or LED-based near-infrared illumination systems is desired. This person will help Trilumina design and realize illuminator modules that meet performance specifications and have high reliability and manufacturability. The candidate will possess a strong technical background and a proven record of accomplishment in previous relevant positions. Flexibility, resourcefulness, and a willingness to learn and thrive in a dynamic small team environment are essential traits.
The Optical Engineer will work with an experienced team on the design, modeling, development, and manufacture of pulsed electro-optical illuminator modules that are based on TriLumina’s vertical cavity laser devices and assemblies. This person will work closely with other members of the engineering staff to design, build, and evaluate photonic and electronic products that use this technology and fit within the related LiDAR and NIR imaging application space.
- Design, integrate and test photonic systems that utilize TriLumina laser arrays.
- Perform complex calculations as part of optical system design, analysis and evaluation using computers and general-purpose programming software.
- Use optical design software tools, such as ZEMAX to model optical component and system performance.
- Utilize optical and electronic test equipment to evaluate device and system performance including microscopes, oscilloscopes, voltage and current meters, optical detectors, spectrometers, spectrum analyzers, digital imaging systems, optical power meters, lasers and electrical pulse generators.
- Design laboratory setups for complex optical beam property measurements of multibeam infrared illumination systems including beam divergence, uniformity, profile and various radiometric properties.
- Engage a wide range of vendors of services, equipment, and supplies for realization of optoelectronic modules.
- Be knowledgeable of laser safety regulations and best practices as embodied in standards such as ANSI 136.1-2014 and IEC 60825-1.
- Safely perform measurements of high-power lasers and calculate safe exposure levels and hazard zones for high-power lasers.
- Responsibly train new employees, student interns and technologists in safe use and measurement procedures for photonic systems, including high power lasers.
- Write reports and work instructions.
- Interface with customers and investors as part of the technical team.
- A PhD or Masters degree in optical engineering or a related discipline (i.e. electrical engineering or physics) and at least 5 years of experience or a Bachelor’s degree in optical engineering or a related discipline with at least 10 years of experience.
- Experience in optical design and optical system modeling using industry standard tools such as ZEMAX, TRACEPRO or CODE V.
- Experience in optical laboratory measurements, including laser beam characterization.
- Experience with typical electronic laboratory instrumentation, including oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, digital imaging systems and computer-aided data acquisition.
- Ability to collaborate with laser device engineers, electronic circuit designers technologists, technicians, reliability experts, and manufacturing process specialists and contribute in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Experience with optoelectronics (VCSELs, semiconductor lasers, or photo detectors).
- Experience in characterizing or designing products that incorporate semiconductor lasers.
- Experience in optical design for optical sensing applications such as LIDAR, Time-of-flight imaging or NIR imaging systems.
- Specific experience with related products for automotive applications is a plus.
All applicants please email firstname.lastname@example.org.